People ask about the “Rig” so here’s the story.
Seasoned RVers call it the Rig—that’s all the parts that hook up to the tow vehicle (if there is one) that accommodate the towing of things down a road in a relatively responsible and safe manner.
My Rig is a 2015 Camplite 14DBS, but I bought it in mid 2014. The 14 means it is 14.8′ long (I guess) and the DBS means—well I don’t know what the DB means but the S means it has a slide-out. I bought this trailer after 8 months of research. My basic criteria included a dry bath (that means a separate shower), double axle (I think they’re safer), European windows (no curtains or blinds in a trailer!), all aluminum (damp wood makes my nose tickle), and a small package. This little trailer has a lot of amenities crammed in a space about half the size of your guest bedroom.
Amenities include: fiberglass exterior, slide-out that adds about 3′ of extra room inside (a huge difference!), spare tire, full size queen bed, a refrigerator that can run on propane, AC or DC, large awning, swivel TV with antenna, microwave-convection oven, air conditioning, a ceramic toilet, and a surprising amount of storage. It had everything, but I still wanted to change a few things.
First, I remodeled the table into a desk because I would be working and writing part time on the road. I started with a preliminary test set-up using plywood and the original table top to see if it would work. Then I did some research for a new center pole (shorter height—the new one is 25″) and a table top (found the perfect size at IKEA). Soon, I discovered I would also need a new screwdriver. Rigs like this use torx screws. Who knew? I had to google that to figure it out.
The new desk now has two large drawers under the table and 10 narrower drawers on top that hold up my second large monitor. Of course, this means I don’t have the second seat at the table, but since I was traveling alone and needed a desk more than a dinner partner, it worked great.
So, some people have remarked that I can’t tow with the set up like this in the picture. No, of course, I had to lay the monitor on the bed and I rigged up a strapping system to keep the drawers shut and in place while driving. I also put my laptop inside the car with me.
In addition to the interior editing, I also removed the swirlie decals and Camplite logos except for one on the front. That was hard (nearly impossible without significant side-effects) so, if you don’t like the swirlies, I recommend ordering your rig new without the decals.
Next, I fashioned a DIY black hose compartment for the back bumper. The Camplite has one on the side but it’s too small… (Why? really?!). There are more construction-savvy ways to do this but here’s how I did it. To DIY your own, you’ll need:
Vinyl fence post and end caps. Get the larger 4 to 5 inch square posts to assure the black hose fits inside. Width of the post depends on how wide you want it. They come in standard widths. I wanted mine to go all the way across the bumper, so I bought the post long and had it cut to 72″. You can get the fence post and end caps at Home Depot or online at Amazon (where I got mine—they had a bigger selection). You will also need some heavy duty/industrial Velcro and Velcro straps, but how you attach the Velcro and post depends on your bumper.You will have to experiment a bit. To make it look less like a white fence post, I painted it with Rustoleum primer and silver paint (to match my bumper). However, I discovered that regardless of the primer and several coats of paint, it didn’t look good after a few months. The paint scratched easily, stained and streaked, so I took another approach: Black Gorilla Tape. That tape is still on and still looks good! That tape is amazing and it’s a must-have-on-hand for a hundred reasons!
Finally, I did some extensive research on rear view cameras and added one to the back of the rig. See more picture and info here.